PHHS Holiday Outreach 2017
December 22 - December 29
Friday, Dec 22 from 1– 5 pm
Friday, Dec 29 from 1 – 5 pm
For those of you who want to join a mission group but may not be able to commit to a long-term project, this Outreach is for you. UUCR has the opportunity to make some local needy young people’s lives better over the Christmas holidays.
Nearly 200 students at Patrick Henry High School – our across-the-street neighbor – are homeless or wonder where their next meal will come from when school is not in session. Many of them have aged out of the programs that serve younger children, but can’t yet provide for themselves. The school’s PTA runs a Student Outreach program that offers food and clothing to these students while school is in session. However, on their two-week winter holiday break, these young people are on their own. On two consecutive Fridays, December 22 and 29. from 1 to 5 pm, our church will serve as a food pick-up location for these students.
Here’s how you can help:
- We need a total of eight volunteers, allowing two people in the building each day during pick-up hours, preferably working two-hour shifts to make up and distribute food bags.
- Most of the food will come from the Student Outreach Program, but we can always use more.
- We need food items in pop-top cans because the students may not have access to can openers, (pasta, fruit, soups, stews). Granola bars and packaged peanut butter or cheese crackers are also needed. No, these aren’t the healthiest foods, but they are calorie-dense, portable, and do not need preparation.
- We also need Kroger bags to put the food in.
- Extra cookies and treats are welcome. We would hand these out for a little extra Christmas cheer, or if you’d like to donate a bag of fresh fruit, it would be a real treat.
If you can donate any of these items, please leave them on a table in the Fellowship Hall marked “Outreach” and label them “PHHS Outreach Program”. If the church is closed, there will be a tub outside the back door for donations. Anything left over will be given back to the Student Outreach Program.
If you can help, please e-mail Betsy Biesenbach at email@example.com or call 982-7892. Please call early for planning purposes to ensure we help our local youth.
Thank you in advance for your help.