We know that religious spaces haven’t always been welcoming places for all people, especially when it comes to gender and sexuality. We are out to change that. For 25 years, we have worked hard to make sure lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are full members of our faith communities. Being welcoming means striving for radical inclusion, and creating spaces that honor every part of our identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
How Do We Practice Welcome?
Welcome is a spiritual practice. It takes constant doing and stretching for our welcome to grow. We practice welcome in our congregations by:
• Promoting inclusivity and using inclusive language
• Creating Welcoming spaces, including gender-neutral bathrooms
• Speaking our Welcome out loud and in print and online
• Building our Welcoming skills as congregational leaders and greeters
• Deepening our understanding of identities that differ from our own
• Offering sexuality education for the entire lifespan
• Preventing discrimination in the process of hiring a minister
• Engaging in justice ministry in our communities and the wider world
• Regularly engaging in Welcoming Congregation programming and ministry
For information contact UUCR’s Action Advocates committee.
“Ladies and Gents of the Blue Ridge – Transgender Alliance” is the fiscal sponsor for “Diversity Camp”. Our 5th annual “Diversity Camp” 2018 (June 18-23rd) for LGBT youth is a safe place to discover themselves, create friendships, connect with mentors and learn about healthy choices while attending workshops, structured activities and a supportive camp experience.
We would present a quick presentation on our camp at Sunday service on 6/17/18 to help spread the word to potential campers and request for donations to help support our mission.
Registration Deadline is June 11th!! Campers from Virginia and surrounding states come together for a one of a kind LGBTQ+ experience! Workshops, games and making friends in a wonderful outdoor camp experience. See links below for registration information, video of past camps and our Facebook page!!! contact us to be a camper, counselor or to help donate funds to a wonderful cause !
Please share and help get word out.
President of Ladies and Gents of the Blue Ridge – Transgender Alliance
Director, Diversity Camp